Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Jakarta Second Big Flood in 2020

Just a short time ago, Jakarta had heavy rain again. Just one night, Jakarta back to the flood. Different from the new year flood, this flood quite dissimilar because of flood spread larger. The public responded calmly this flood. Maybe they are tired of complaining to the deaf government. 
Usually, I lived in a free flood place, but I should pass the flood on my way to the office. Monday and commitment to work made me had a great effort to go to the office. Walked and the limited bus made me reach office at lunchtime. I anticipate my only motor had crash if I forced to pass the flood. 
in my way, I have a lot of questions. 
Mangga Besar Street in 11.00 am 

Along Mangga Besar and Sawah Besar street, why the color of the flood have a clearer than I expect?
This question crossed my mind because it is my first experience as a flood victim. I always imagine the color of the flood will be brown, sticky and have a bad smell.
So why? 
as a not expert person in this field, I tried to read and study why and how flood. Especially why this place had a clear flood. 


Flood is large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry

 At that time, I tried to read some journals and articles about it.
The caused color in flood has two reasons.
First, the source of the flood. In this second flood, the water comes from late-night heavy rain before. Also, Mangga Besar doesn't have any river from Bogor. The second article from the guardian said mangrove can filter salty and dirty sea-water to be clearer. But it doesn't match because of Mangga Besar is far away from a mangrove forest in north Jakarta.
I took a conclusion the caused Mangga Besar flood has a clearer flood is because of the flood pure from heavy rain and clogged canals.

canal near Mangga Besar
we look like used a ship
all day rain

That's why the drainage system in the city is a crucial thing.

1 comment:

  1. What bad timing for a flood now too with everything else going on. I hope you do not have any property damage. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

What is your limit to your first property?

 Life becomes insane. Everybody just realized climate change.  Not too long for our democratic party. We faced a dearth of rice. Something w...